I first heard about Weleda when I was in college. I hurt a muscle somehow and my European friend gave me the last of her Weleda Arnica tincture to apply to it and it totally worked.
[I hunted for it on the website but the medical part is really deep and I don’t remember exactly which one I had.]
Since then, I’ve noticed Weleda products here and there – when babysitting, the baby products; when hanging out with my hippy friends, the strange salt toothpaste (that I’m fascinated by but can’t bring myself to pay $7 for); on my seemingly eternal hunt for curl taming hair products, the Rosemary Hair Oil (review of that coming later).
Then, I was poking around at Target and saw their Skin Food in the section with the Juice Organics and other more natural products. I actually clapped and said “Yay! Weleda!” when I saw it and then had to get a tube of it the size of a tube of lip balm, just to try.
Here’s how I use it:
– I rub a teeny bit into the dry pointy parts of my elbows and it’s soo soothing! Makes them very soft.
– According to their website…
Dry, rough skin of any age gets indulgent moisture with this intensively nourishing, deeply hydrating cream. It’s a unique, ultra-rich whole-body cream that deeply hydrates, restores and protects your skin.
…so I thought, “Hmm, ‘whole body?’ I wonder how it’ll work on my irritated, chapped lips.” I applied a thick, white layer to my lips before bed and really enjoyed the way it felt. Honestly, the only way I can describe the sensation is to say that it felt like applying frosting to my lips. I kept smacking my lips together because of that sensation and eventually it soaked in. When I awoke, my lips felt fresh, moist and healthy.
– A little goes a long way. You don’t need very much to get results which means, to me, that it’s also very cost effective.
– It has a very nice, nondescript essential oil based scent that doesn’t linger and that’s neither masculine nor feminine. Kind of sweet and citrus-ish.
– The company uses minimal plastic in it’s packaging. This cream comes in a minimally coated box in a recyclable metal tube with a plastic screw top.
– Many of their ingredients are biodynamic and have a lot of certifications.
We believe nature offers everything we need to create effective beauty and wellness products. Look through our list of ingredients and you won’t find one unpronounceable synthetic compound or one toxic chemical.
– $17 for 2.5 ounces seems expensive but remember, a little goes a long way. This is not a body lotion – it’s a dry skin therapy.
If you ever suffer from extremely dry skin anywhere on your body, you’ll love the way this product feels and heals. I highly recommend it.