– It’s got a gentle matte finish. I say “gentle” because it’s not a true mattefying product but it does dry in a matte way. This may seem a bit semantic but those of you with oily skin know what I’m talking about. This will not mattefy your skin, but it won’t add to your oiliness. I forgot I’d put it on until the next morning when it was time for me to put sunscreen on. I’ve had experiences where I feel greasy all day and can only think about how greasy my skin feels. That was not the case with this product.
– The fragrance they use is mild and pleasant.
– The company is named for the inventor, Dr. Murad and I like Continue reading →
Here’s how I use it:
– I use this in the shower but I keep it on a shelf outside of my shower (see the very top of this page). It’s a dry powder so it’s imperative to keep humidity out of the bottle until you’re ready to use it.
– After washing my face, I pour a small pile (appx 1/8 tsp) into my hand and massage it with water until it starts to foam up and isn’t sticky.
– I massage it into my skin for just over a minute, being sure to focus on the parts of my face that get clogged.
The upsides: The Ingredients
– While I don’t love that it has artificial color, fragrance and parabens, the active ingredients are all botanical or food based, which is what drew me to it in the first place.
– My skin feels wicked smooth after using this. The smooth feeling lasts a day or so, which makes sense since it can be used daily. For more sensitive skin, I’d say try it a few times a week at first. For oilier skin, daily use will help keep the skin clean and clear. People with dry skin should always be sure to use an appropriately rich moisturizer after any exfoliation treatment Continue reading →
Now that it’s June, I thought it would be a good time to discuss sunscreen. Also, a couple of you have asked me about sunscreen lately so I figured this would be a good time to devote a few posts to the subject.
My beloved SkinCeuticals has a winner with Ultimate UV Defense. For a few years it was my favorite sunscreen. Then I got a job at a new spa that doesn’t carry SkinCeuticals so I thought I’d try something new, which I did, and I love it more (more on that later). So, I’m divided between “like it” and “love it” because I USED to love it, until I found something better. You’ll have to decide on your own!
Here’s how I use it:
– Every. Single. Day. It’s my last step before makeup.
– I use enough to cover the last digit of my middle finger and I massage it into my face, front and back of neck (short hair or updos require back of the neck SPF application), ears and down the decollete. If I’m wearing a wide neck shirt on a sunny day, I always make sure that everything within the neck hole is covered with this sunscreen. Arms and elsewhere get a less Continue reading →
One of my favorite makeup companies is Urban Decay because I love their colors and that they have an extensive line of Vegan products. I’m not vegan but I have vegan friends and I like to think that they can have fun applying brightly colored makeup without sacrificing their principals.
Today I’d like to tell you about their Afterglow Blush in the color Fetish.
MyChelle Dermaceuticals is a brand I first noticed at the health food store. I loved seeing all of the fruit ingredients and decided to try their little sampler kit to see how well these food based products worked.
Back when I was a kid, my mom always bought us Nature’s Gate shampoo and conditioner from the health food store. That brown pudding-like conditioner that made my cat knead my scalp like it was catnip is one of my most confused childhood memories. I love it because it reminds me of that childhood – the places we lived, the way the cat walked on the edge of the tub when I was in it – but I really never quite cared for the way it felt or smelled. I think it was the only option my mom had within her desired parameters, of which, I have only a vague idea: natural, inexpensive, large size…
Now they make all kinds of products that smell and feel great, are pretty natural, and do a great job at what they’re made for, including this Lavendar & Aloe Body Wash that’s just lovely.
Some might find the $9.99 price tag a bit steep and I can’t say I disagree. However, I can say that this product is worth it in the long run.
I got Collective Wellbeing‘s Cinnamon Purifying Clay Cleanser because I wanted to try something new and found the title and description quite intriguing. The very first time I used it, however, I was disappointed. This is less a cleanser and more a masque.
I wanted a cleanser.
Once I got over that disappointment, I set about finding it’s strong suits and discovered that it’s excellent as a masque.
Here’s how I use it:
At night I wash my face with whatever cleanser I’m testing at the time and then apply this as a masque for a few minutes, until a thin coat is dry. After a few days of doing this, my skin is super soft and clear.